forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3788  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sun Jul 9, 2000  2:52 pm
Subject:  Re: Two male lions

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Bill Reese wrote:

> Oh, sure, there were gay couples on the Ark. The Oglaviches, the
> persatonies, the kreeblics. What? You say you don't know these
> animals? Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with there being no
> female of the species? Come on Wayne, don't turn a biblical story
> into a gay issue.

> I'm sure Stefan's reference had to do with the fact that male lions
> have manes, females don't and the painter made the mistake of painting
> both lions with manes. Maybe it's more like the second lion was a
> bearded lady? ;-)

Bill, when Wayne speaks from his heart about childhood pain,
please don't respond with sarcasm.

I realize this is getting far from SignWriting here, but I feel
it's important because there are high percentages of gay men and lesbians
in fields relating to sign language: linguistics, interpreting and
education.

Of course the most likely explanation is that the painter forgot
(or didn't know) that lionesses don't have manes. But there's nothing
wrong with making up stories, and if you're going to make up stories, it's
good to have ones that don't make gay kids self-conscious. What happens
if Noah needed two lions, but could only find gay lions? Maybe he brought
a lioness (not pictured), and later convinced one or both of the male
lions to father cubs with her, in order to perpetuate their species.

I did want to mention that after our discussions about Deaf
Missions, I went to their site and was hurt by the prominent link to
their page about the "sins" of homosexuality and lesbianism. They happen
to have omitted the "sin" of crossdressing, but it still made me feel that
Deaf Missons is an organization I want nothing to do with.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
3789 Offtopic response to Re: Two male lions Stuart Thiessen Sun  7/9/2000
3790 Re: Offtopic response to Re: Two male lions Valerie Sutton Sun  7/9/2000

  Message 3788  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index