forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3840  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 7, 2000  4:14 pm
Subject:  Re: writing of left or right angle hand positions

At 3:24 PM +0100 8/7/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

>There is still my question where to locate the fingers - moving the hand
>from one postion to the next ...

SignWriting List
August 7, 2000

Hello Everyone, and thank you Stefan and Charles for your question
and feedback ;-)

The Parkhurst's wonderful book from Madrid, Spain, called
"SignoEscritura", is outstanding and I really love the exercise they
created. I wholeheartedly support the way they are teaching the Angle
Handshape....which has always been a difficult handshape to teach.
Their exercise has helped me too! ;-)))

In the ASL signs for TEACH and EAT, we placed the symbols a little
bit at an angle since they are directed slightly up in both cases, so
the Parkhurst's diagram is discussing fingers that are straight
forward or back, but sometimes those symbols can be placed at a slant
too, to show a slight tip up etc.

I have nothing new to tell you about those symbols - no mistakes can
be made since the person places their hand in the flat hand first,
and then bends the fingers into an angle - no matter which side you
place the fingers they will still read it properly.

Best of luck with your dictionary, Stefan...if you need feedback on
the way you have written certain signs, you might post a few to the
List for review - in about 6 months when I can catch up - ha!

Have a great day everyone -

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3840  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index