forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3859  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 21, 2000  11:01 pm
Subject:  Opening the SW List to ALL Languages...

SignWriting List
August 21, 2000

Dear SignWriting List Members:
Our List is very international, with members from 24 countries. There
are so many beautiful signed languages in the world...ASL is only one
of many...and SignWriting can write them all...

In the past we discussed opening the SignWriting List to any spoken
language....I would like to experiment with opening the List to all
languages now...

Why? Because I am hoping our Deaf members from Brazil and other
countries will feel better about posting questions to the List in
their native languages...Feel free to write your messages in
Portuguese - that is fine with me!

If you speak English, and you do not know other languages...that is
OK too! Continue to post in your language. You can do one of three
things...

1. Ignore the messages that are not in your language.
2. Learn the other languages (grin....not practical, I know ;-)
3. Or go to this web page:

AltaVista Translation Service on the Web (free)
https://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn

Paste the message into their translation box on the web, and ask it
to translate it to your language - the software is astonishingly
good, considering the complexities of translations.

I want to give technical support to the world's signed languages, and
this is the only way I know! I hope you all will support me in this
idea?

Let us at least give it a try and see what happens....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Replies Author Date
3864 Re: Opening the SW List to ALL Languages... Nancy Cole Tue  8/22/2000
3865 Re: Opening the SW List to ALL Languages... Valerie Sutton Tue  8/22/2000

  Message 3859  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index