forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3882  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Aug 24, 2000  2:54 am
Subject:  Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW

>Oh, I didn't even think about other countries not having the pledge! EEkk
>my apologies! I guess I grew up with it assuming everyone had one!
>
>I have Deaf friends that live in Denmark, but I have never traveled outside
>of the USA, so it didn't hit me until Valarie wrote. I misunderstood your
>message Stephan please forgive:) I'm just now learning how different the
>African Deaf Culture is, and how they've never seen snow! Oh well! I learn
>something everyday!
>
>Smile\
>Nancy

August 23, 2000

You know, Nancy, I really admire you. You are so open and interested
to learn about new things...I figured you had never traveled outside
the United States before...so how could you know it was different in
Germany?

This is true for all people. The first time a person leaves their own
country and lives for awhile in a new culture, there is a true
"culture shock"...everything feels different, and you never know what
you have misunderstood... but then slowly you learn the culture until
you know what to expect, at least. But you never quite belong...the
culture you grew up with, usually stays with you the rest of your
life.

And certainly you know this from the differences between the Deaf and
hearing communities in the United States...but still that is a little
different...they are sub-cultures...because both groups are
Americans, so they both know the Pledge of Allegiance - one way or
the other...ha!

I look forward to hearing about your student's reactions to the
SignWriting of the Pledge...and I am very glad to know that the
teachers are interested - hmmm - maybe they will be able to read it -
I hope so! ;-))

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3882  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index