forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Sun Sep 10, 2000  11:08 pm
Subject:  Re: CI's (OFF TOPIC)

I suspected you probably weren't meaning that. However, I just felt it was
worth it to "keep balance" in the whole CI debate. I have seen too many CI
debates that I tend to encourage balance and then focus on other things.

My only question really was if the child might feel awkward knowing your
position and they have it. I don't even wear my CI around deaf anymore
because its not worth the argument. I just wear it when I am around
hearing and need to communicate with them.

So anyway enough said on this. I'm sure we agree more than we disagree on
this. (SMILE)

Stuart

At 18:01 09/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I did not intend on my comments of the CI to be negative in any way. I had
>mentioned that I wish that parents and Doctors to be more educated in Deaf
>Culture. I do not shun anyone that has a CI. I did mention before that a
>friend of ours decided to have a CI which was his choice and we didn't feel
>any different from him when he got it. From what I see of my students, the
>parents have no awareness of Deaf Culture. This is what I see from my own
>experience. I would like them to be more aware of every option before they
>make their choice. I apologize if I have been misunderstood. English is not
>my first language, so perhaps I wrote it down wrong.
>
>Smile
>Nancy

Stuart Thiessen
4616 Hickman
Des Moines, IA 50310
(515) 280-0005 Pager ()

  Message 3920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index