forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3934  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Tue Sep 19, 2000  6:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files

The problem is that neither GhostScript nor Acrobat Distiller have
anything to do with creating the PostScript files. They just take
PostScript files and turn them into PDF files.

As Stuart says, the thing is that SignWriter 4.3 doesn't in fact
produce PostScript files. It produces PostScript, but only on a printer
port.

On the other hand, when you're working in a Windows application,
you print with the Windows PostScript driver, which allows you to tell it
you want to print to a file. This was not available in DOS by itself.

Which is why we need to use prn2file. And prn2file is freeware.
It originally appeared in PC Magazine in 1987, and there are no
restrictions in the documentation. It's certainly not in competition with
Adobe Acrobat.

If Jerry knows of a way to get PostScript files without using
prn2file, I'd be interested in hearing it.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 3934  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index