forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3946  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files

I tested the batch file I was proposing and I found out that if you don't print
in
Signwriting, there is still a file created by prn2file. This file would have
nothing in it. I changed my batch file to test for this and handle the files
accordingly. As such, my batch file is no longer simple. I'm attaching it here.
If you want to use it, put it in your signwriting directory, along with the
prn2file.com file. Then you will be able to go to that directory in DOS and
run it
by typing SWSTART.

If you would like it to run a little differently, let me know. I can easily
expand
it to make more than 7 print files. However, remember, that feature only works
for
subsequent sessions of SignWriter, so if you want to make more than one print
file,
you'll have to Quit Signwriting and run SWSTART again for each print file you
want
to make. Be sure to save your work before you Quit. ;-)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and I think it would be good to do so here:
prn2file.com loads into your computer's active memory (RAM) when you run it. It
stays there until you either unload it from memory or restart your computer.
While
this hasn't caused any problems for me, sometimes it does for other people who
use
their computer differently and it also takes up space in memory that might need
be used later. There is a command you can run from the DOS prompt to unload
prn2file from memory:
prn2file /U
This would need to be done in the signwriting directory because that's where
prn2file.com should be.

I have added this to the batch file attached so if you use the batch file it
will
automatically unload it from memory.

Valerie mentioned just a couple days ago about changing some Windows settings to
allow Signwriting to work correctly if you need to free up some conventional
memory. You may also need to do something like that to free up memory to run
prn2file.

Bill Reese

Attachment
swstart.bat
Type: application/x-unknown-content-type-batfile

  Message 3946  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index