forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3966  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Sep 26, 2000  2:44 pm
Subject:  Writing Finger Movements

Charles wrote:
The following is an example of the discussion Cris and I had in Porto
Alegre, Brazil, about various signs in LIBRAS (Brazilian Sign
Language). We'd love to see comments on these "reductions" of signs.

------------------------

SignWriting List
September 26, 2000

Hello Everyone, and Charles!

Regarding writing finger movements, as you know these two lessons are
up on the web:

Lessons In SignWriting
Lesson 5: Finger Movement, Part One: Basics
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/finger/finger.html

Lessons In SignWriting
Lesson 5: Finger Movement, Part Two: Advanced
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/finger/fing007.html

In the advanced lesson, you will notice that there are several ways
to write the same movements. Some are more detailed than others.

Generally, what you wrote, Charles, could be read by someone who
already knows the signs. In Spain, they also chose not to write so
much detail...it all depends on what is needed.

Sometimes writing the beginning and finishing positions without all
the abstract symbols in the middle, is easier and more readable than
using a lot of abstract symbols. So eliminating the second hand
position can create more trouble than it is worth many times.

Here are some other lessons on the web:

Question 0009:
Finger Trills
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/elessons/less004.html

Question 0010:
Finger Movement
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/elessons/less005.html

Question 0011:
Finger Movement
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/elessons/less005.html

Question 0015:
Finger Movement
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/elessons/less007.html

Question 0016:
Finger Movement
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/elessons/less008.html

So there are many alternatives...

Hope this helps ;-)

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:
https://www.SignWriting.org

  Message 3966  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index