forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3994  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  3:19 pm
Subject:  cued speech and SW flash-cards

Hi Valerie, Ingvild and listmembers -

Dear Ingvild ,

thank you very much for your kind message!

I would like to share my new experiences especially with the teachers who
are looking for a tool to improve articulation skills with their students.

Today I feel like a inventor myself (hi Valerie) .

Using the foundations that are offered by SW - I was working (very hard) for
several days /weeks) now to experience the possibilities that are offered by
SW-articulation-flash-cards )

The first step was to share my first "product" with the listmembers! Thanks
to a very supportive advice of Valerie I was able to improve these materials
a lot.

Iīm very very happy to tell you that I am now at a higher level of my job.
The "articulation- flashcards " all written with the symbols that are part
of the SW 4.3 are such a great support in the beginning of my articulation -
reading and writing course at first grade - that I canīt express my
happyness about SW enough !!!

What I did was to find out which elements of a "articulation-face " should
be enough to allow the student - who is going to learn to articulate the
various sounds he needs for reading or speaking . This learning process is
taking place within special classroom experiences. Special sounds are
associated with special gestures, signs, materials, places in the classroom
The first signs I offered distinguish between voiceless and voiced sounds.. I
used a combined sign touching the throat with your right index-finger (with
voice) or signing without voice like using a key -- lock the throut
Now I found out that simply the lines I use for air streaming out of the
mouth are enough to indicate what kind of sound Iīm asking for. (= with air
out of mouth = voiceless : t, p, k, sss, sch, ch, f, h, z)

In the beginning I always added the handshape for a letter of the alphabet.
Now there are only very few additional handshapes needed.

The whole system is still in the process of development - but - what we
experience today is, that my first grade students are able to read the
different "faces" . They produce a specific sound that is associated with a
special graphem.

My son Johannes - who is a skilled SW - reader and writer -- is able to read
out loud complete German sentences just looking at "texts" that are written
with these "artivulation- faces " Isnīt that funny?

My other son Christoph started school this September. He looks at these
articulation - faces and reads out loud the single sounds - hmm just the
way he was reading the single sounds for every single letter.
With the help of this articulation-face- system he learned within a very
short time to improve his reading of the German words in a wonderful way !

They were excellent teachers and partners for discussing my ideas on a high
level - !! I asked for their advice how to describe the faces that are
associated with typical sounds.

Since I developed this system I notice that I use facial expressions
(mouth-pictures) much more in my signwriting-spellings. This helps to
distinguish between signs which depend very much on the lip-movements.

At school my firstgrade students are able to copy , read and articulate the
sounds for: A, D, E, F, I, L, M, O, P, R, S, T, U, W , (School started in
September !)
For soundcombinations au, eu, st, --- I use sign-combination - two faces
cross each other in the middle - this indicates that the sound changes from
here to there quickly -

Now I can write a face at the blackboard and the whole chorus will start to
articulate this sound !!!!!!
Next step - I write the graphem underneath

Another game the whole blackboard is filled with almost 16 faces - I start
to write a graphem underneath but play the teacher who doesnīt know. All of
them jump towards the blackboard in order to correct my mstake -- ha, thatīs
fun , especially if the student has won who realized that from time I was
right with my solution ! ;-)

Another game - everybody goes to the blackboard underneath one of the faces
and reads out loud the sound of this face.

Another game - I have taken lots of photographs of facial expressions - very
often with additional handshapes - the students look at the foto and go to
the blackboard to show the face that goes along with this foto.

Another game : One student starts to write a letter underneath one face .
Now he turns to one of his colleagues und simply speaks out loud which
letter he wants him to draw underneath one of the faces .

Well - I simply wanted to share some of my experiences with this system .
And I bet that within the next couple of weeks we will have a great tool to
enrich our possibilities in the classroom.
In case You are interested in more You are cordially invited to contact me
;-)

All the best to all of You

Stefan ;-)