forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4170  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Roald
Date:  Mon Nov 13, 2000  4:41 pm
Subject:  Re: OK! I need your opinions ;-))....

Hi all,

even if I find the dots easy to read when listed as now, I have two
objections:

1. what about handwriting? That will be hard when you have the palm away
(black square or 'house')and one or more dots

2. I seems to me that the handshapes of the system should all change the
same way when you flip around in space. This has been one of my main
objections to the Danish way of making their own variation of Sign Writing -
they took Valrie's system and changed it to their own liking, adding a lot
of new handshape symbol variatons, so that you have to remember many more
symbols. That may not be the case here, if we can use this way with the dots
as a standard, but then my first objection must find a solution. We are not
just talking print here, we are talking kids learning to write theri own
languae, shopping notes scribbled down in haste, love letters, manuscripts
for Deaf Club presentations, .....

Ingvild

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: OK! I need your opinions ;-))....
>Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:25:06 -0800
>
>SignWriting List
>November 12, 2000
>
>Dear SW List!
>
>I need your opinions and feedback....
>
>Please look at the attached diagram. I need your opinion on numbers
>6, 7 and 8....
>
>The dots mean that the fingers are sticking straight towards
>you...the dot represents the tip of the finger...The dots can also
>mean straight away from you, if the square for the fist is dark...
>
>So we can write these handshapes two different ways...with the dots
>or without the dots....which do you like to read better?
><< _less063a.gif >>
><< less063a.gif >>

  Replies Author Date
4172 Re: OK! I need your opinions ;-)).... Valerie Sutton Mon  11/13/2000

  Message 4170  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index