forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4186  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Nov 14, 2000  1:28 pm
Subject:  Re: OK! I need your opinions ;-))....

>If both versions
>could be in the next (?) computer program, we could try it from there, but
>finally, I would wish us to have a common system, even if different sign
>languages have slightly different interpretations/ articulations for the
>same symbols, they would be close. Then the sign languages would not be in
>the mess that the spoken languages are, with different alphabets and
>different pronounciations of the same letter or letter groups within the
>same alphabet. But we have a long way ahead...Ingvild

SignWriting List
November 14, 2000

Thanks Ingvild. I agree! The best solution is to make all the symbols
available in future computer programs, and then we can see how people
choose to apply them, and slowly we will have to come to some
standard decisions, although Deaf children just might make those
decisions for us!

Because of Unicode development, I will be working on SSS-2001, which
will incorporate every symbol that exists in the entire writing
system...from our head to our toes...from ballet to sign language.
That is necessary for computer programmers and typographers....it
does not mean that people are required to use all those symbols - not
at all - but it will be an excellent documentation of every possible
symbol, plus it will open the door to other programmers to be able to
create future software for Sutton Movement Writing.

So there is much work ahead. Yes...I agree that our writing system
should be as universally-used as possible, and the internet is giving
us more of a chance for that...but on the other hand, the differences
in culture around the world have to be respected too....and I suspect
there will always be some differences, simply because of human
nature...

And there are two other issues - First, not everyone sees visual
things in the same way. Second, the writing system is used
differently, depending on the reader. For example, a researcher might
want to write more detail, but a child might need less detail - and
so it is almost impossible to avoid different writing styles.

All of this matters little, if SignWriting were taught to young
children in school. Kids learn well at young ages, and they would
carry it to their adulthood and it would become the norm -

So I will keep you all informed of new developments, and meanwhile,
let's continue to write with what we have!

Thanks so much for your input -

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:
https://www.SignWriting.org

  Message 4186  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index