forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4237  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  11:39 pm
Subject:  Pointing fingers on different planes...

On 11/16/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>I think different. In fact I have been in the need to write the back of the
>hand at a diagonal position and felt happy to understand that here is the
>solution to this problem. In the past I used only three of the five
>positions - but now I can imagine to use # 4 as well -

SignWriting List
November 16, 2000

That is great news, Stefan. I am happy to know that.

For researchers who need an "international movement-writing
alphabet", these differences matter.

Whether they matter so much for everyday use is hard to know...but
that is why I need to keep the rule open for the moment to find out
how many people really choose to differentiate in such detail....
especially children - I suspect most children will read the signs
intuitively without such detailed palm facing...

It will be interesting to see, won't it?!

Here is another explanation for the details:

Attachment
Palm-Planes.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 4237  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index