forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4294  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: introduction

At 3:39 PM -0500 12/1/00, henk pel wrote:
>My name is Tini Pel. I live with my husband Henk in Gore Bay Manitoulin
>Island Canada. I met Valerie many years ago during one of the international
>dance seminar in Copenhagen Denmark, Valerie introduced us to dance writing
>and I "fell in love with it".
>Over the years Valerie send me the information about sign writing as well. I
>put it aside not really thinking that I will ever use it....

SignWriting List
December 2, 2000

Hello Everyone, and Tini!!

Welcome to the SignWriting List ;-))

It truly is amazing, Tini, that you have continued to use
DanceWriting, and now SignWriting, all these years. I can hardly
believe it. Was it in 1974, that we met in Copenhagen? I can't
remember the year - ha!

I remember that you took a DanceWriting Correspondence Course with
one of our DanceWriting teachers in Boston, back in the late
1970's...right? You mailed in your assignments to Boston, while you
lived in Canada....I felt badly towards you, because I remember we
never completed correcting all your wonderful DanceWriting homework
assignments, and you deserved more of our attention.

I became split between teaching DanceWriting at the Boston
Conservatory of Music, and working with SignWriting at the National
Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) in Rochester, New York in
1979. It was a confusing time - caught between the dance world and
the Deaf world - I used to fly back and forth between Boston and
Rochester, New York, where NTID is located.

So I left your correspondence course in the hands of our trained
DanceWriting teachers in Boston, and they became totally overwhelmed
with a thousand things to do - Sounds just like our problems today
too!! I guess we are still the same!!

The only difference is that we now have computers, so we can type by
computer as well as write by hand ;-))

So welcome, Tini, and thanks for your very nice greeting card in
fingerspelling!!

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:
https://www.SignWriting.org

  Message 4294  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index