forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4291  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  henk pel
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  8:39 pm
Subject:  introduction

Dear Members,
My name is Tini Pel. I live with my husband Henk in Gore Bay Manitoulin
Island Canada. I met Valerie many years ago during one of the international
dance seminar in Copenhagen Denmark, Valerie introduced us to dance writing
and I "fell in love with it".
Over the years Valerie send me the information about sign writing as well. I
put it aside not really thinking that I will ever use it. I am really glad
I did My dance writing has helped me to decipher some of the signs of sign
writing, which has given me hope to help me with learning ASL. ASL is my
third. language as I am originally from Holland. We came to Canada in 1953.
My profession is a teacher in classical ballet and dance drama.
I am now involved with an organization called L.I.F.E. which stand for
Learning Is Fun Eh. (Canadians are known for ending their sentences with
"eh"). It has an ASL division and I have taken the Vista Course 100. I am
now working on Vista 200 series. So I am still a beginner. I have to travel
about two and a half hours to Sudbury to get a lesson, so it is slow going.
But I really like it as I now can converse with a deaf person here in town.
He also comes to our sessions and it has changed his life he says. He is a
60 year old man and was very much by himself. His family never learned sign
language as they believed he should learn to speak, which he does, but with
difficulty.
So this is my story in a "nutshell". I am enjoying your messages daily and
have learned from it.
I am honored to be among you and I hope I can contribute to sign writing
some day. Thank you, Tini Pel.

  Replies Author Date
4294 Re: introduction Valerie Sutton Sat  12/2/2000

  Message 4291  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index