forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4295  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  7:51 pm
Subject:  Re: introduction

At 4:34 PM +0000 12/2/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Hello Tini,
>thank you very much for your introduction. Itīs good to know something about
>the persons who " fell in love with the SMWS " (Sutton Movement Writing
>System) .
>Looking at the materials at the early stages of SW I couldn`t imagine that
>I would have become sooo much interested in SW. This shows that Valerie and
>her co-workers (???? ) has already had a clear idea of SW could become some
>day.........

SignWriting List
December 2, 2000

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!

Thank you for this lovely message. It is good to hear from you ;-)

It is amazing that Tini has been in touch all these years...a great feeling!

To answer your question above...

Yes...within 6 months of publishing our first book on Sutton
DanceWriting in late 1973, I was working with SignWriting...and yes,
from the very beginning I hoped that someday SignWriting would become
the written form for hundreds of signed languages around the world...

However, I had no co-workers at that time. I was hired by the
University of Copenhagen in 1974 to record the movements of signs
from videotape, but when I went to the researchers at the University
to tell them of my idea of creating a written form for signed
languages, they were against the idea and told me it would fail.

But I still believed that it could be done.

Tini tells me that she knew of SignWriting back when she and I first
met in Copenhagen, which would mean that we must have met in 1974 or
1975...At that time, I was the only person writing SignWriting, but I
presented the idea to dancers who were learning DanceWriting, such as
Tini. It wasn't until 1977 in the US, that other people got involved
with SignWriting...

A long and detailed history! ;-)

But it is the recent history (in the past five years or so) that
SignWriting really began to be used on a daily basis....

Your astonishing accomplishments in Germany, Stefan, is one example of that!

Thanks for your message ;-)

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:

4296 Illustrations for Publishing Using SignWriting Valerie Sutton Sat  12/2/2000

  Message 4295  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index