forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4360  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Wed Dec 27, 2000  12:50 am
Subject:  Re: facial expressions and lip-reading

Hi Mark,

thank you for your feed-back !!

> Thanks so much. I printed it out and it looks very nice. I just wish I
knew
> German Sign Language!
>
> I noticed that there are 22 rows. Does this correspond to the German
> alphabet? In English, we have 26. Which of the following should I remove
> to have an accurate alphabetical rendering of your SW Sound Set?
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Ha- no no no - don $B!- (Bt remove any of them -- we need them all ;-)

There is a big difference between the graphems - the printed letters - in
the German Alphabet -

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

and the various ways how you habe to pronounce these letters depending on a
set of rules -

You can $B!- (Bt simply write a German word as it sounds like - ;-)

So hearing children are in great trouble to learn the correct spelling !

I tried to develop several different "lists"

One of them is the Alphabet as it is posted on my new homepage - did you see
that ?

Another set - sound -set - is kind of help for my first grade students. I
picked up typical german words that show in the beginning (= Anlaut)
typical pronounciation patterns - So my students become aware that st or e
or o is pronounced differently depending on ---- mh - we are on our way
;-)

I "invented" the overlapping faces out of need . I had no idea how to write
it in a different way. My students have no difficulties at all to accept
this way of writing as just what it is meant to be -- a hint, a help - to
understand the written signs - or to get an idea about the pronounciation.

Happy Christmas and holidays -

All the best to you !

Stefan ;-)