forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4317  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Wed Dec 6, 2000  5:41 pm
Subject:  facial expressions and lip-reading

Angus wrote :

" I'm taking a class in spoken-language phonetics right now, and
it's interesting to learn all the different methods that people have come
up with for speech synthesis."

Hi Angus and listmembers,

" keyword : different methods ...speech ...

as you might know - German is a difficult language to learn for the deaf
children -
In the first phase of first class we concentrate very much on getting
familiar with the letters of the alphabet and their pronounciation within a
given context.

The first time when I showed my new system of SW articulation-signs to the
list, Valerie was very amused because it is so difficult to compare our
German sound for the letter A and the English or American version - I guess
it depends on my German accent - as well

Nevertheless - I succeeded to develop a whole set of sound-signs for the
German Language which is a tremendous help for my students to improve their
articulation - or to get started from the beginning ;-)

The good experiences with this system are wonderfull.

Looking and concentrating on these SW- faces - my students improved a lot to
get informations from looking at my mouth when Iīm speaking to them : short
words, their names, special phonems ...
They learn to concentrate on lipreading much better !!!

I would like to ask you or other interested SW -listmembers if they can
imagine of any improvements ?
Especially the following problem needs a solution: I havenīt decided yet how
to indicate the long-vocal sounds compared to the vocals of normal lenght.

Only about 30 percent of the articulation can be identified clearly from the
lips of the speaker. Within my system I added the "aspiration" - lines for
voiceless sounds. Sometimes I added handshapes in order to inform about the
sound ( d vs. t etc)

The foto shows Irina - explaining the SW-faces to the students .

All the best Stefan ;-)

Attachment
SW cued speech Irina M.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

4318 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Bill Reese Wed  12/6/2000
4331 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Valerie Sutton Thu  12/14/2000
4333 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Mark Penner Thu  12/14/2000
4341 Did everyone stop writing? Mark Penner Wed  12/20/2000
4343 Re: Did everyone stop writing? Valerie Sutton Wed  12/20/2000
4354 Re: Did everyone stop writing? Mark Penner Tue  12/26/2000
4335 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Dana Srebrenick Thu  12/14/2000
4339 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Stefan Woehrmann Thu  12/14/2000
4340 Re: facial expressions and lip-reading Mark Penner Wed  12/20/2000

  Message 4317  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index