forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4549  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Thu Mar 8, 2001  6:53 pm
Subject:  Re: Gesture Workshop 2001 FINAL Call for Participation (fwd)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> I look forward to hearing more about the Gesture Workshop....Is it
> focused on recording signed languages? Or does it include the writing
> of non-specific gestures such as body language, dance and classic
> mime?

It's specifically focused on gesture in human-computer
interaction, so not just writing, but writing (or other technologies such
as database encoding) in a way that can be interpreted by computers.

The gestures in question can be really just about any movement
that humans (and maybe other animals) can use to interact with a computer.
The presentations cover all kinds of gesture, including one on
"Biomechanics of Ballet Arm Movements." So I'm sure dance and mime
(classic or otherwise) would be included in the scope.

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department
The University of New Mexico

  Message 4549  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index