forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4739  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Themis Karaminis
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: sign language processing and computational sign language processing

> Could you state briefly what do you understand by "NLP with a cognitive
> view"?

With the (unsuccessful) term "cognitive view to NLP", I refer
mostly to connectionist modelling and also other approaches that
incorporate evidence from cognitive science about language
organization in the brain for producing models for language
processing.

>What cognitive aspects of language processes would say that depend on
> the particular form that has been chosen for writing a language on paper
(or
> a computer screen)?>

On the one hand, SignWriting is a writing system, i.e. a set of
symbols for encoding signs . Therefore, for any evaluation or
comparison to other writing systems or transcription systems,
what would matter are the units for which symbols have been
selected and not the symbols themselves. Moreover,when considering
using SW input for NLP the basic issue would be the computer
readability of the .sgn format (if the computer can read the
phonological elements of the sign). Thus, a cognitively plausible
model for sign language processing could not be based on the
form of the input.
On the other hand, SignWriting is easy to learn and use mostly
because it is iconographic. This fact implies a possible
correspondence of SW to cognitive aspects of sign language processing in
the brain, such as the visual-perception, understanding, production and
acquisition mechanisms. Could a computational model exploit
SignWriter's iconicity to get closer to cognition-based aspects of sign
language realization? How? For example could the extraction of the
phonological features from the .sgn format be based on a model for sign
visual perception process?

  Replies Author Date
4743 Re: sign language processing and computational si Valerie Sutton Thu  4/5/2001

  Message 4739  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index