forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4791  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Apr 15, 2001  4:09 pm
Subject:  Colombia & Greece Fingerspelling SGN files

Héctor y Margarita Devia wrote:
>>>Three year ago I Worked for Secretaría de Educación Distrital de
>>>Bogotá, and IRAVISION (the Government Television Channel) as Sign
>>>Language Interpreter. On the other hand I had two dificulties,
>>>firts, How to record sign? and How to write (no gloss) sign
>>>translations?. When I start to understand Sign Writing better, I
>>>thought, the solution is SW, and it is. For example I make some
>>>short notes in SW for Deaf, and I explain the meanig of symbols
>>>and they think it is very interesting. Finnaly, How can I get a
>>>Colombian-Spanish Version of Signwriter?. Can I traslate into
>>>spanish the manuals and Sign lesson and give to friends? Nos vemos
>>>amigos (See you later)...

SignWriting List
April 15, 2001

Dear SignWriting List, and Hector and Margarita...

Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Happy Sunday!

Thank you for your introduction, Hector and Margarita, and welcome to
the SignWriting List. I am happy to know that you are from the
country of Colombia!

Back in 1998, another Colombian was a member of the SignWriting List:

Carlos Thompson

Carlos is a computer programmer who was interested in developing
software for SignWriting. I do not believe he is a member of the List
any longer, but you might contact Carlos, to see what information he
has on SignWriting in Colombia.

Yes...We can definitely create a Colombian version of the SignWriter
Computer Program. There are three sections to the job:

1. Fingerspelling Keyboard
2. Spoken Language Translations
3. Dictionaries

Regarding 1. Fingerspelling Keyboard...

Can you create a Fingerspelling SGN file for me, Hector? Please type
all the handshapes used in Colombian Fingerspelling (with the
SignWriter Computer Program), and then send the SGN file to the
SignWriting List.

How do you do that? The Fingerspelling document you type with
SignWriter will have a name....Let us pretend you name your document
"Finger"....Then you will find the file listed as FINGER.SGN in your
directory.

"SGN" means a "sign document".

Attach the file "FINGER.SGN" to an email message and send it to the SW List.

Or, create a .GIF or .JPEG and post your Fingerspelling diagram to
the SignWriting List...

Either way is fine. If you do not know how to do this, write again
and we will help you!

And Themis from Greece...could you also send us your Greek
Fingerspelling SGN file? Many thanks!

With those files, I can create a special Fingerspelling Keyboard for
both Colombia and Greece ;-)
--

Val ;->