forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4941  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Nancy Cole
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  12:35 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

Hi Everyone!

Yes, there is a book on Mexican Sign Language that was done by Dr. Don
Cabbage and another individual.  I know their first names.  But as I found
out later is that the language has its' variations all across Mexico.  My
friend from Vera Cruz uses a different sign language in his city.  I think
Jerry has already listed the address of where you can purchase the MSL book.
It is very useful, but as with any language it is best to use the book with a
Deaf Individual who knows MSL.  My friend who is from Chihuahua (I know the
sign, but spelling????) uses MSL and she has helped me with the signs that
are in the book.  Dr. Don Cabbage is very fluent with MSL, and at one time he
was able to interpret for myself in ASL and switch to MSL just for my friend.
  It's very interesting to see!

Richard and I have started on two short stories from the kids books.  As we
do not really like to use the series Reading Milestones, we have changed it
somewhat to benefit Deaf students ha  The two stories that we are working on
are from the third grade reading level.  The names of the stories are "The
Clue" and "The Colored Eggs."  My kids are helping us to translate more
stories.  It is really unbelieveable to see how they translate English into
ASL!  I've been teaching them to gloss the words, and that really helps!  But
when they get on the signwriter they are totally engrossed in their work.
What is really fantastic is that they are actually thinking about they say or
said in their stories.  They are thinking about their signs, which is a first
time for them.  Some people criticize me at work saying that I'm using
Signwriting too much, but I really don't think so.  They are benefiting from
this program more than they were before.

Now, that we have the stories almost finished, how do I post them on the
signwriting library?

Have a good week everyone:)  Oh, note for Jerry...thank you for all of the
bible stories you have done!  Jessica really likes to read them!

Smile
Nancy

  Replies Author Date
4946 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Sat  5/12/2001

  Message 4941  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index