forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5008  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun May 27, 2001  2:05 pm
Subject:  QUESTION: Why write Sign Language?

>I don't understand? Could you explain why sign writing was created? I
>understand how sign benefits those who cannot hear but what is the purpose
>of translating the relatively universal standard of using written letters,
>words, and sentences to communicate an idea or thought, into a completely
>new format / language. Just curious. Orville

SignWriting List
May 27, 2001

Hello Orville -
Thanks for your question. It is a common one. And below is one of
many answers. There are other answers too, regarding benefits to Deaf
Education and so forth...so feel free to write again with questions -

Val ;-)

-----------------------

WHY WRITE SIGN LANGUAGE?
https://www.SignWriting.org/about/questions/questions.html

Why do people read and write spoken languages?

Whatever the answer is to that question, the answers are the same for
writing signed languages. The only difference is that we are writing
a series of languages that use movement, instead of sound. But
otherwise the issues are the same.

There are some who argue that signed languages do not need to be
written! No language has to be written - but when we do, we all are
richer for it.

SignWriting was not designed to replace any language or writing
system. It was developed to provide a written form for hundreds of
languages that did not have any written form before. And some Deaf
people and signers benefit from writing their native Sign Language,
which is very different than any spoken language.

Reading and writing makes it easier to learn other languages, it
preserves the history and traditions of the culture, and it has a
profound influence on the rest of the world. When a language is
written, it places it on an equal footing with other written
languages, which brings the language attention and respect. Through
this process, those who use the language learn about their own
culture. They see themselves in a new positive light.

And this is true for Deaf people who use a Sign Language too. Some
are born into Deaf families that use a Sign Language at home.
Learning to read and write their native language is a help to them,
and can give them a feeling of pride.
--

Val ;->