forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5072  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  3:38 am
Subject:  Re: SignBank: SignWriting Online Dictionaries

Charles Butler wrote:
>Iin actually using the Sign-Symbol-Sequence as taught in Lessons in Sign
>Writing, I believe that your dictionary file should also link by handshape,
>orientation, etc. as well.

SignWriting List
June 5, 2001

Hello Everyone, and Charles!
Congratulations once again on your successful trip to Brazil. It
sounds like you all had a wonderful time...I only wish I could have
been with you ;-)

I am glad you are using the Sign-Symbol-Sequence in your dictionary.
A four language dictionary could not exist without it, if two of the
languages are signed languages...

And yes, you are right, I do plan to use the Sign-Symbol-Sequence
too, for our SignBank database on the web.

When the SignBankSite is really functioning, it will offer six ways
to find signs for web visitors. Here are the current designs planned.
You can see examples right now, although they are not
fully-functioning dictionaries yet:

Database Designs

1. SignBank I : Word-to-Sign
Look up by Roman Alphabet or Greek Alphabet
https://www.SignBank.org/SBI/design.html

2. SignBank II: Sign-to-Word
Look up by Sign-Symbol-Sequence (SSS)
(scroll down to see the Sequence boxes)
https://www.SignBank.org/SBII/design.html

3. SignBank III: Sign-To-Sign
Two Signed Languages (no spoken language)
Look up by SSS
https://www.SignBank.org/SBIII/design.html

4. SignBank IV: Sign-Word-Sign-Word
Two Spoken Languages and Two Signed Languages
Look up by either the Roman alphabet or SSS
https://www.SignBank.org/SBIV/design.html

5. SignBank V: SignWriting & Linguistics
Data fields for linguistic analysis of signed languages.
Design not posted yet.

6. SignBank VI: SignWriting & Video Streaming
There will be a day when a video stream can have
a "SignWriting stream" as well...

Val ;-)

  Message 5072  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index