forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5367  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sun Jul 29, 2001  11:51 pm
Subject:  Re: re; squeeze and Hinge

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Sometimes a Squeeze Motion can involve the knuckle joints too...(that
> is the necessary result of the squeezing motion)....but it must not be
> confused with Hinge Motion.

Okay, so the Squeeze motion covers both

a) motion of just the second and third joints
b) motion of all three joints

It's true that I can't think of any signs where the difference
between (a) and (b) corresponds to a difference in meaning. If a language
that has such a difference is ever found, we would just have to change our
terminology. But it may well be a universal of sign languages.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5377 Re: re; squeeze and Hinge Valerie Sutton Mon  7/30/2001

  Message 5367  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index