forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5539  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Aug 22, 2001  1:26 am
Subject:  Re: Mexican sign for Mexico

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Nancy Cole wrote:

> I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond back about the sign for
> Mexico. The sign that they use here in the V CL touch two times on the
> forhead. I asked about 15 Deafies, and they said the same thing.

Yes, that was the other variant that I remembered seeing. The
change fits in with Nancy Frishberg's work on historical change in
ASL. She found that signs tend to move away from the center of the face
towards the edges, and from the lower body upwards.

There's a Mexican sign for "hunger" that we were taught involves
poking your hands into your belly one after the other, just above the
belt. I'd write it in SignWriting, but I don't know how to get the arms
in SignWriter. In any case, Nancy, I bet if you ask your friends, they'll
put it a lot higher up.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 5539  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index