forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5578  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Mon Aug 27, 2001  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Arabian Sign Language

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> I hope Mohamed doesn't mind that I post his private message....

I hope not. After all, he addresses it to everyone...

> 1 : For the Arabic spoken Language ,it is the same for all Arabic
> countries .The differences come because each country has its accent
> with some words but it can be understood in other Arabic counties In
> the ( ArSL ), there are some different signs but the deaf people can
> manage the differences

Mohamed, I hope this will explain my question: Whether two
varieties are separate languages or dialects of the same language
is often a matter of perspective. For example, Spanish and Portuguese are
closer to each other than Moroccan Arabic and Iraqi Arabic, but in one
case we say that they are separate languages, and in the other we say that
they are dialects of the same language. There are limits, though: even
though English has borrowed a lot of French words, we still don't say that
it's a dialect of French.

It's similar with sign languages. We might (at a stretch) say
that American Sign Language and Irish Sign Language are dialects of French
Sign Language. They are definitely part of the same language family.
But we couldn't even try to say that Irish Sign Language is a dialect of
British Sign Language, because British Sign Language is a different
family.

We say this even though Deaf people who speak completely different
sign languages can often, with patience and skill, understand each other.

So I'm just wondering whether ALL the sign languages throughout
the Arab world are dialects of the same language, or whether they are from
the same family, or whether it is Deaf people overcoming their different
languages using patience and skill.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5579 Re: Arabian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Mon  8/27/2001
5580 Re: Arabian Sign Language Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  8/28/2001

  Message 5578  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index