forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5616  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Sep 10, 2001  11:07 pm
Subject:  Re: Karl is searching

SignWriting List
September 10, 2001

Hello Everyone! And thank you, Karl, for your message. I will answer
it in sections..and I hope others will share their experiences too ;-)

>I have a request for your and fellow members of the SignWriting List. I need
>teaching manuals in English to help me help the D/HH of the lower tier who
>have had difficulty bridging the world of topic-comment syntax (ASL) to
>subject-verb-object (English).

I know that you feel that you need manuals in English, since you are
new to signing. But actually, you will find that starting with the
Lessons in SignWriting Video Series will be good for both hearing
teachers and parents, and Deaf students alike. And you will learn
from it too, Karl.

I would show the videos directly to the students in class, and then
let them borrow them, and take them home to share with their parents.

The Lessons in SignWriting Video series is taught by Deaf teachers
who use ASL...but there is English voice-over for hearing people,
English captions for Deaf people or HH hearing people like yourself,
and two accompanying bookets giving the diagrams and a complete
English transcription of the videos. The accompanying booklets are
"English manuals" teaching the basics of SignWriting.

Once you show the videos, you may find that one or two students will
become inspired, and they will teach you, and other hearing teachers,
SignWriting. That has happened time and time again. Seven year old
born-Deaf students, who do not know a word of English, teach their
teachers SignWriting, with little or no instruction. The teachers
find it hard, but the Deaf children oftentimes find it easy...they
just need to see it...

Here is information on some of our videos:

1. Video Series: Lessons In SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw119.html

Learn SignWriting in American Sign Language with these two
educational videos. The Lessons In SignWriting Video Series has been
shown on USA cable television as educational programs. Two Deaf
native signers Lucinda O'Grady Batch and Kevin Clark, teach the
basics of SignWriting in American Sign Language (ASL), with English
voice and captions on the screen. The series includes: Video One:
Introduction to SignWriting (21 minutes) and Video Two: SignWriting
Basics (31 minutes). Each video includes a colorful paperback booklet
with a transcription of the English voice plus a review of the
instruction.

2. Video Series: Deaf Perspectives On SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw123.html

Video One: How Deaf Opinons Changed.
Deaf native ASL signers Lucinda O'Grady Batch, Bonita Ewan, Kathleen
Say, and Denny Voreck give their opinions on SignWriting. In ASL,
with English voice-over and English captions. Includes a booklet with
a transcription of the English on the video.

Video Two: How SignWriting Changed
Taken from the perspective of the Deaf people involved, Video Two is
a synopsis of how the writing system changed and improved, as more
and more Deaf people began to use SignWriting. Native signers skilled
in SignWriting discuss how they used the system in the 1980's and
early 1990's. Features George 'Butch' Zein, Lucinda O'Grady Batch,
Kevin Clark, Denny Voreck, and Valerie Sutton, with guest appearances
by Bernard Bragg, and a special visitor from Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz
Al-Obaid, who discusses recording Saudi Arabian Sign Language. The
video is captioned. Included is a booklet transcribing the English on
the video, plus diagrams showing examples of the different writing
styles. 30 minutes long.

3. Learn To Read American Sign Language in SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw206.html

Learn to read SignWriting with frame by frame instruction, based on a
video in American Sign Language. The complete story of Goldilocks &
The Three Bears is signed in American Sign Language by native signer
Darline Clark Gunsauls. Valerie Sutton transcribed the video in
SignWriting, and captured the story with pictures frame by frame. The
SignWriting is placed next to the video picture frames. Each symbol
is explained with color coding. This serves as a reference manual,
while reading the storybooks. All three books are printed in color,
including over 100 pages of instruction. Free technical support is
available with this product. Package includes 1 video, 1 manual and 2
storybooks, in a video case.

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
phone: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5616  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index