forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5656  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Sep 21, 2001  3:36 pm
Subject:  SW in vector graphics

Stefan wrote:
>you know - if I make a print-out with SW 44 and enlarge it pretty much the
single pixels show up pretty much. Your gifs and teaching materials
look so polished - just as if you can construct them with a graphic
program.

SignWriting List
September 21, 2001

Dear SW List and Stefan!
Thank you for your question about vector graphics. You are right that
my diagrams look better. But I do not use vector graphics. My
diagrams are "better bitmaps".

Years ago, I worked very hard on a new program called SignWriter 5.0.
It is not finished. But one part of the work did get finished....I
worked months on creating better bitmapped symbols.

SignWriter 4.4 symbols are called the "SSS-1995". Because of MS-DOS,
the bitmaps are not a good quality.

SignWriter 5.0 symbols are called the "SSS-1999". Because of the
Macintosh and Windows improved graphics, I was able to improve the
quality of the bitmaps.

Before everyone says they want SignWriter 5.0....let me explain....

SignWriter 5.0 is NOT working. It cannot print. It does not do half
the things that SignWriter 4.4 does. I plan to focus on SW 5.0 later,
after I complete the basic SignBank 2.0 database in FileMaker.

But there is ONE portion of the SW 5.0 code that IS working right
now...and that is:

The SignWriter 5.0 Conversion Program
....converts SSS-1995 to SSS-1999....
(Macintosh only at this time)

So I type the files in SignWriter 4.4, and then I convert the .SGN
file into better looking symbols with the SW5.0 Conversion Program.

Then I place the file into a graphics program and clean it up a
little and then create the GIF...Lot of work, but worth it!

I have more to tell you about this, and I hope to write another email
message about it soon...