forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5936  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  11:19 am
Subject:  Re: research paper on sign writing

Hello Karen, Leigh and Listmembers,

just want to let you know that I am very gratefull to you about sharing your
questions and answers. I am pretty much engaged to present
GebaerdenSchrift - as we call SW here in Germany to different users and
audiences.

There was one idea in your answer which I would like to discuss ..

SW is such a powerfull writing-system that even if beginners produce lots of
spelling mistakes the informed signer is able to understand the idea of his
movement-description.
Sometime I am happy to get hand-written GebaerdenSchrift faxes from one or
the other participants of my courses. It is fun to be able to understand
these documents ..

Karen wrote : "(I assume that in actual practice, Valerie has power of veto
or approval over any
> newly-created handshape symbols).

Hmm well - excuse me Valerie - but I guess that it is not power of veto or
approval ... but the competence to overlook all the details and consequences
that are connected with individual variations and idiosyncratic
writing-styles. There are still details and symbols in the whole
movement-writing system we are not informed about. In the past Valerie
showed up with solutions of specific spelling problems - that introduced new
symbols ( pair of scissors ;-) )
So from my point of view - in order to keep the system as powerfull as it
is - it makes sense to come to an agreement and in the past these questions
about reading and spelling problems made me feel more secure.
As far as I am informed there is only one difference in reading and writing
the angle-flathand - hmm (I myself prefer the version that is offered from
Steve and Dianne Parkhurst because of its systematic logic. Valerie puts
more emphesis on the visual impression -....))
Future will show which spelling is more likely to support a quick reading
and understanding.

Have a great super day
Stefan ;-)