forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5953  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Sun Nov 25, 2001  8:26 pm
Subject:  Re: Is SignWriting Necessary?

Since Daphny, our 17 year old Nicaraguan Deaf student, is residing with us
for a few months, we were able to enroll her as a visiting student at the
Maine state school for Deaf (Baxter). Daphny's native language is
Nicaraguan Sign Language, plus she has a smattering of spanish vocabulary,
so learning ASL has been quite a task for her. Of course, the students at
Baxter are taught english, and to facilitate this, all were given lists of
english verbs and adjectives alongside pictograms of their ASL glosses. For
Daphny, descriptions of english words through ASL is not very helpful, but
with the SW computer I very quickly printed out each term in Nicaraguan Sign
Language via SW. (Our Nicaraguan Sign Language dictionary file includes
some 2000 signs -- a mere drop in the bucket given the immensity of the
lexicon, but enough to cover all the english terms in the school's
hand-out.)

Once again, SW proves decisive in bridging language gaps.

-- James

  Replies Author Date
5959 Re: Is SignWriting Necessary? Valerie Sutton Sun  11/25/2001

  Message 5953  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index