forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6018  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  2:18 pm
Subject:  Translating spoken languages on the List

At 5:55 AM -0800 12/7/01, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>>Could you please for the poor people that don't know Spanish, Latin
>>American or whatever be able to translate this. For me it could be
>>Dutch, English or even German (I am a little rusty in German!)
Antony & Terry Daamen, Australia

SignWriting List
December 7, 2001

Hello Everyone, and Antony and Terry!
Thank you for your message posted to the SignWriting List. I am going
to post a little Australian Sign Language shortly.

But regarding the Spanish article, I just want you to know that it is
I (Val), who posted it in Spanish to the SignWriting List, not Josue.

Just as you do not speak Spanish, Antony, Josue, who is Deaf, does
not speak any English. He has never written any English to me.
Believe it or not, he puts up with my terrible Spanish in email
messages! I feel honored that Josue is using SignWriting....

Awhile back, I opened the SignWriting List to all languages. If there
is a message you do not understand in a language you do not know, you
can either throw it out, or you can go up on the web and get a
partially-readable translation. Anyone can do that for free. How?
Copy a paragraph you want translated, and paste it into the
translation box on this web page:

AltaVista Translation Service
(only 150 words at a time)

https://world.altavista.com/

or

https://www.altavista.com/sites/babelfish

Even though the translation that results is not perfect, it is good
enough to guess what he is saying!

Try it...I think you will see it is amazing that translation on the
web has come that far...I had always heard that "it can't be done" -
well it has advanced quite far now technologically...so much so that
you could respond with a paragraph in Spanish to Josue, by pasting
your English in the box, and asking for Spanish to come out - ha!

Blessings -

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 6018  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index