forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6066  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Fri Dec 21, 2001  12:23 am
Subject:  Re: Question: "Constructed Languages?"

Steven,

I think that what you are looking for is a way to literally "link" an
arbitrary movement, say, "right hand pointer finger at position 45 degrees
palm toward you touching your nose" with the syllable cluster "nu". The
closest symbol system to this is "cued speech" which differentiates between
two syllables that look exactly the same on the face such as "gap" and "cap"
by an arbitarily assigned shape for the hard "g" as opposed to the hard "c"
sound. This system is based on English, at least as far as I know, and has
not been developed for other voiced languages to be literally "assigned" an
arbitrary handshape as a one-to-one correspondence to voiced speech.