forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6104  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Dec 29, 2001  11:45 pm
Subject:  Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting!

>>Dan Parvaz wrote: That's a nice cross-platform solution, assuming
>>you keep the graphics *light*. In many Middle Eastern countries,
>>phone lines are not exactly state-of-the-art, which sometimes leads
>>to connection speeds of 9600 and sometimes even 4800 bps; what
>>takes no time flat on my DSL connection can be mighty tedious in
>>Syria or Algeria. For the moment, reading the opening credits is a
>>bit like reading a crossword puzzle backwards :-)

SIGNWRITING IN ARABIC NATIONS
A Web Posting For A CD-ROM

Thank you, Dan and Mohamed, for your information about Arabic and
typing Arabic. Because my SignWritingSite services 28 countries now,
it is not possible for me to learn every language on the site. I
personally cannot learn to type Arabic at this time, nor do I want to
install any special software, as I am over-extended with too much to
do.

BUT! That does not mean there is no solution. Not only do graphics
screen captures solve the problem, but there is no problem with
downloading, because our web sites are now going to be captured on a
CD-ROM. The CD-ROM can access the entire web site from a CD, without
any internet connnection...so if I send the CD to Mohamed and his
fellows teachers and students, if they have a computer with a CD
tray, then they can access the web without downloading...they can
access the CD while opening SignWriter 4.4 and have both open
simultaneously etc...with no internet connection.

So it becomes a document built on graphics files, that solidifies the
Arabic going in the correct direction, no matter what the computer
platform!!

I will also have the files on the web on the internet too, but that
will only be useful for people with fast internet connection..

Nothing wrong with that! Some people do have that...

So if you want the Arabic section on our SignWriting 2002 CD, please
send me the graphics files with numbers, not names, so I can place it
the proper order and create the CD for you ;-)

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 6104  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index