forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6121  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Dec 31, 2001  1:33 am
Subject:  Re: translating written or typed words to sign

>> Vicki wrote: I am a sign dancer and am looking for a way to
>>simplify my learning.

>Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote: I'm curious. How does someone learn to
>be a sign dancer, even the complicated way?

SIGN-DANCING
Ha! Great question, Angus! This really made me giggle ;-)))

Hmmm...sign-dancing can mean different things to different people.
There is sign-dancing from the "signer's perspective", which is "Sign
Language -with- a- little dance"...

.....and from the professional dancer's perspective - sign-dancing
would be professional dance choreography first and foremost with some
signing inside the complex full body movements....

Two very different worlds. I have seen both...I actually do not know
which Vicki meant - but I would assume the former...there are not
many people who are professional dancers, but a lot of people like to
sign songs with some extra flowing movement -

Either way, all the movements can be written from head to toe, in
DanceWriting and SignWriting combined...If they roll on the floor
while they are signing, we can write it!

As far as how to learn to sign-dance - I have no idea...are there
classes? smile