forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6483  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Mar 9, 2002  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: hieroglyphs were used for phonetic encoding by Egyptians, as demonstrated by Champollion ħħ work

Fernando Capovilla wrote:
>SignWriting is a writing system. By the way, what is meant by "real"?

SignWriting List
March 9, 2002

Hello Fernando! Nice to see you posting on the List again ;-)

The SW List is such a positive group of people! Whenever I am on the
List, it feels like the whole world is open to new ideas, and accepts
that SignWriting is used around the world...Of course, it IS used
around the world ...but that is because of people like you,
Fernando...Your Brazilian Sign Language Encyclopedic Dictionary is
pretty impressive!

Brazilian Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/brazil/brazil21.html

And I understand that you are working on a new series of
dictionaries...is that right? Perhaps you could tell us a little
about your new projects, when you have time...I know you are
extremely busy...

Regarding the comment that "SignWriting is not a real writing system"
....I believe that comes from people who have never seen it before,
and have never thought about it either....I guess "real" to them
means "established" or "something that looks exactly like the Roman
alphabet"...