forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6546  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Mar 19, 2002  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: Names for sign languages

SignWriting List
March 18, 2002

Flavio wrote:
>PS: Japanese Sign Language is known as JSL. And we
>don't use BSL for LIBRAS because there is already
>British Sign Language. Many people in Brazil started
>using the term LSB to refer to LIBRAS recently...

Smile....I have an idea. Why don't we call ASL "American Sign
Language"? And we could call JSL "Japanese Sign Language"!....and we
could call LSB "Brazilian Sign Language" in English and "Lingua de
Sinais Brasileira" in Portuguese.

It really wouldn't be that exhausting to use the full words for the
names of languages...afterall...if we spend time typing email
messages, we can spend a little time typing out the names in full!

All the problems would go away and we would have an accurate name for
every language!

Val ;-)

PS. Yes...SW would become SignWriting too...let's be equal about this - ha!!

  Message 6546  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index