forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6636  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne Smith
Date:  Thu Mar 28, 2002  4:58 pm
Subject:  Arab, Arabic, Arabian

Valerie -
I wonder why you've lumped the "Arabic" nations together. You've
listed four separate countries. I see no reason to consolidate them.
Another issue is that "Arabic" is the name of a language, not a culture.
Saying "Arab nations" might be possible, but again I would list the four
countries separately. "Arab" refers to the general population of people
that speak one or more dialects of Arabic. "Arabic-speaking nations" is
another possibility, but I sincerely doubt that they all use the same sign
language, which is what we're primarily interested in, so why bother.
"Arabian" could only be used to refer to the people of one country: Saudi
Arabia.
Also, to get technical, Maltese is a dialect of Arabic, albeit written
in the Roman alphabet.
Salaam Aleykum!
- Wayne Smith
Dr. Wayne H. Smith, Director