forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6727  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Apr 5, 2002  3:08 pm
Subject:  Deaf person in Turkey...How to assist him...?

SignWriting List
April 5, 2002

Dear SignWriting List:
Thank you, Barry, for your message below. I am posting it to the
SignWriting List. Is there anyone who can give advice to Barry
Johnson in Turkey? Val ;-)

------------

From: "EDMOND JOHNSON"
To: SignWriting List
Subject: Problems in Turkey
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002

Hello,
I am MSGT Barry Johnson and I am a member of the USAF on TDY
(temporary duty) in Incirlik, Turkey. While stationed here, I had
the opportunity to meet a young man named Saylah that is one of the
best shoe-shiners I have ever met. The situation is that he is deaf
and mute. He is an extremely bright young man and I know that he is
very eager to learn to communicate better. He does not and has not
ever gone to any school nor has he had any education in sign
language. His family is extremely poor and can not afford to send
him to school. Because of regulations, he is not allowed to come on
base with me, therefore he and I cannot visit the on-line sites that
are available to learn sign language.

I then thought that maybe I could download and priint out the
alphabet in sign language but that would most likely be the english
version. Being that he is Turkish I did not know what to do. Is
there anyway that I can assist this young man? Please let me know if
there is something that I can do to prevent this bright young mind
from being locked away in a lonely world of such limited
communication. If you are not able to assist me in situation, please
refer me to someone that is able to. Your assistance would be so
greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
MSGT Edmond B. Johnson

----------------

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date Size
6728 Re: Deaf person in Turkey...How to assist him...? Valerie Sutton Fri  4/5/2002   6 KB

  Message 6727  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index