forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6753  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Angus Grieve-Smith
Date:  Tue Apr 9, 2002  4:24 pm
Subject:  Re: CS programmer making an american sign program

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> >> Andy Uehara wrote: here is the location of my website:
> >>aslla.sourceforge.net.

Welcome, Andy! It's good to see a developer who's committed to
open source and working with the Deaf community show an interest in
computational sign linguistics.

You should know that English to ASL translation is a very complex
and difficult project. Many have tried before, with very limited success.
The reason, in a nutshell, is that we haven't been able to make any of
these technologies work very well between two related and well-studied
languages like English and French, let alone English and ASL.

The good news is that there are tons of other sign language
technology project that need work, and I hope you'll consider them as
well.

I invite you, and anyone else interested in sign language
technology, to join the email list so-qiwoa, which my colleague Dan and I
have set up for the discussion of this topic. To join, send an email
saying "subscribe so-qiwoa-l Andy Uehara" to .

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 6753  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index