forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1192  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Deborah Holden
Date:  Thu Apr 29, 1999  4:35 pm
Subject:  introduction

Hello SignWriting list,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Deborah Holden. I am
a Teacher of the Deaf in a school district in New York State. I read
the Silent News article over breakfast on April 7 and since then my
world has been spinning with SignWriting and the possibilities for some
of my Deaf students. I work in 6 different buildings. I travel to four
or five buildings daily. I spend approximately one and a half hours a
day in the middle school. After I read the article, I went to the web
site and emailed for more information. Once the packet was sent I
showed it to my students. To my surprise, the students were able to
read SignWriting without any instruction. Some of the students wanted
to keep the papers and would not let me have them back until I promised
to make them a copy of it! When I asked them if they would like to
learn SignWriting they all said "YEAH!". I am in the process of getting
the administration to agree to allows us to participate in the Literacy
Project in the fall.
I have a some questions and would like your input. How much time will I
need to prepare myself in order to teach SignWriting? How much time
will the students need? Daily? Also I'm not a native signer. My
students do not have strong ASL skills. Some came from programs that
used signed English. I am hoping that SignWriting will be a good
language model for them. What happens if my students produce
SignWriting that is not perfect ASL? What if teacher want to
participate but do not know sign? I really appreciate your help. This
information will give me a better picture of what I and proposing to the
administration. I look forward to hear from you.
Sincerely,
Deborah Holden

  Replies Author Date
1193 Re: introduction Valerie Sutton Fri  4/30/1999
1194 excuse the test :-) Valerie Sutton Mon  5/3/1999
1195 Re: introduction Ronald H Dettloff Mon  5/3/1999
1196 Advanced Lesson Posted! Valerie Sutton Tue  5/4/1999
1199 Report From Lena Arvidson Valerie Sutton Tue  5/4/1999
1197 Re: introduction cmf Tue  5/4/1999
1198 Re: introduction Valerie Sutton Tue  5/4/1999
1200 Re: introduction John C McReynolds Tue  5/4/1999
1218 Re: introduction Valerie Sutton Thu  5/6/1999

  Message 1192  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index