forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1211  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed May 5, 1999  2:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions About SW

Ingvild Roald wrote:
>Well, as for Sign Language and National Language taught as separate
>subjects, with translations between them, Sweden and Norway are
>doing this throughout their school system. Sweden has for years,
>Norway only started in 1997.
>
>But in Norway, in upper secondary, we have been teaching Norwegian
>Sign Language as a separate subject since the late 1980s, and with
>some Sign Writing as part of the curriculum, for deaf students.
>
>My best to you all,
>
>Ingvild
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Ingvild, for this information. Norway and other Scandinavian
countries were way ahead of the American schools, when it comes to
bilingual education for deaf students. I am curious about the "upper
secondary" schools that you mention - how old are the students at that
level?

Is the SignWriting used for vocabulary lists, or are students reading
literature in Norwegian Sign Language?

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1211  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index