forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1343  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Wayne H. Smith"
Date:  Tue May 25, 1999  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

Valerie and everybody -

Just thought of a few more more needed non-manual symbols:

1. cheeks puffed on one side only (needed for TSL PINK, FALSE,
ONE-MONTH, and a few more)
2. mouth open, tongue wagging from side to side (needed for TSL
NOT-HAVE)
3. mouth open, teeth biting down once (needed for TSL FINISH)

Also, how does one indicate signs that are made on the back of the
head, e.g. TSL MANCHU, HIGH-BLOOD-PRESSURE?

Finally (until I think of something else), TSL namesigns are
interesting in that many of them are marked for gender, much as in Spanish:
Mario, Maria, Patricio, Patricia, etc. For men's namesigns, the thumb
(meaning "male") is extended, and for women's namesigns, the pinky (meaning
"female") is extended. This often means that a whole set of handshape
symbols might be needed just to handle this phenomenon. Is there an easy
way that we can just generate the needed handshapes, or will I have to use
the old way of piecing handshape symbols together using bits and pieces
under the - key?

Will appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Love,
- Wayne

  Replies Author Date
1461 Typing Puffed Cheeks :-) Valerie Sutton Mon  6/14/1999
1463 writing "the back of the head" Valerie Sutton Mon  6/14/1999

  Message 1343  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index