forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1344  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Tue May 25, 1999  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Don & Theresa G wrote:

> I suspect that Chinese SW readers, once taught that they have to
> switch scanning to the "wrong" side, will start automatically doing so
> and it will become second nature for them. They might think it
> "weird" at first (like I did with Hebrew) but later they will think
> nothing of it for this particular writing system.

I don't think that Wayne was suggesting that Taiwanese readers
wouldn't be able to adjust to reading left-to-right. The whole reason why
SignWriting is written in columns is that it was suggested by SignWriting
users. If we're going to go out of our way to make it possible for
American signers to read in columns at all, then we should also go out of
our way, if it's shown that Taiwanese signers want to read right-to-left.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
1370 Re: New SignWriter Features? Valerie Sutton Tue  6/1/1999

  Message 1344  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index