forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1592  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Kristine Roald
Date:  Fri Jul 30, 1999  1:26 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages

The Norwegian for "Norwegian Sign Language" is "Norsk Tegnsprog"
(or more commmonly, Norsk Tegnsprak, with an a with a small ring on
top), abrevieated in Norwegian as NTS. In English, it is correctly
abreviated NSL.

We do have NTS (NSL) signs for most of the words on your list for
menues, but the people who knows them are still on vaccation, I
cannot get to them in another two or three weeks. I could give you
the Norwegian word translations now, if that would help. We are no
longer constrained by only one word beginning by a particular letter,
right? Because when we did the translations for sw 3.0, we had to
think hard to come up with something that gave meaning without
clashing with that constraint.

Best wishes,

Ingvild

Ingvild Kristine Roald
Reseach fellow, Department of Applied Education
University of Bergen, N-5020 BERGEN, Norway
e-mail:
Department phone: +47 55 58 48 30
Department fax: +47 55 58 48 80
Private phone: +47 55 28 34 34

  Replies Author Date
1605 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Sat  7/31/1999

  Message 1592  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index