forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1604  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jul 31, 1999  2:03 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages

https://www.sil.org/ethnologue/families/Deaf_Sign_Language.html

>Can`t imagine that you can simply take these acronyms for Signed Languages :
>Look at Germany, Austria and so on.
>
>Stefan W ô¬ rmann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, Stefan, for this url. I visited the page, and it is an extensive
list. Many thanks!!

But you are also correct that their acronyms are not ones that are always
used in the countries themselves. As you mention above, their acronym for
German Sign Language is GSG, but I know you told me that DGS is what you
use in Germany?

And they list Austrian Sign Language as ASQ...that seems unusual. I wonder
what that is based on?

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1604  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index