forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1835  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Therese Shellabarger
Date:  Thu Sep 16, 1999  2:43 am
Subject:  Re: SW-L Digest - 14 Sep 1999 to 15 Sep 1999

At 12:00 PM 9/15/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:21:44 -0400
>From: Ronald Zapien
>Subject: Student
>For those of you who don't know me, my name is Cheryl Zapien. I am
>working in our local Deaf ministry and next year I will most likely
>begin my studies so that I can officially become an interpreter.
>However, this year we have a deaf exchange student from Barbados and
>Valerie suggested that I pose a question I posed to her to the list.
>So here it is:

>I would appreciate any advice or comments. I am particularly concerned
>with the fact that although she is a bright kid, she does not seem to
>have been given the skills needs to extract information from a text.
>She does not seem to know how to go about learning.

Hi, I used to work at the English Tutorial Center at Gallaudet University.
It's under a different name now, and I'm in California, so it would be
difficult for me to find out directly the new name, however I know the
director is Dr. Terry Coye, and he is probably your best local resource for
ideas of "what to do" for your exchange student.

I had MSSD and MSD mixed up in my mind, but if you are near enough to
Gallaudet University, MSD may have more resources than MSSD for this kind
of thing, since they are a "demonstration" school.

Also, I know that Maryland University is well-liked in the Deaf community
for remedial stuff, and they may have someone working on their MA or even a
PhD candidate who can tutor this person for credits. You need to get the
most advanced help you can, as this kind of stuff is not to be taken
lightly. An undergraduate may do more harm than good if they instill her
with the wrong kinds of habits. At Gallaudet University, they put their
best teachers with the remedial students because they know there is no
margin for error at that age, that's their last chance to rescue someone
who's had a lifetime of misdirection.

Good luck! If you run into problems, send me an e-mail and I'll see if I
can think of something else. I'm the managing editor of Deaf USA
publication and I also write most of the stuff, so a lot of miscellaneous
information crosses my desk everyday.

--
Therese Shellabarger -
https://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/ Shalom chaverot!

  Replies Author Date
1839 Writing not drawing Valerie Sutton Thu  9/16/1999
1842 Re: Writing not drawing Martin 'Lolly' Lorenz Thu  9/16/1999
1840 Deaf Expo 99 in San Diego Valerie Sutton Thu  9/16/1999

  Message 1835  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index