forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2716  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Feb 6, 2000  2:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Gallaudet University & Signwriting

>I'm a proud graduate of Gallaudet, but her history suggests that when, not
>if, SW takes hold, it will occur from outside influence.
James Womack

February 6, 2000

Thanks, James, for your excellent insights on Gallaudet - you are a
wonderful example of how people's attitudes can change when they take
the time to really look at SignWriting.

I never expected Gallaudet to back SignWriting...not after I saw how
others were treated on campus....and not after reading how Braille
was banned from the French schools for the blind..it all makes sense
that the established institutions are hard to change.

But as you said, if the writing system has value, it will be used in
time...and so each day we accomplish something...

Lately we have received such outstanding teacher's reports on their
successes in the classroom with SignWriting...

It starts to make the Gallaudet sceptics look a little foolish, don't
you think?....

2718 Re: Gallaudet University & Signwriting Michael Everson Sun  2/6/2000

  Message 2716  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index