forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2718  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Michael Everson
Date:  Sun Feb 6, 2000  3:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Gallaudet University & Signwriting

Ar 06:54 -0800 2000-02-06, scríobh Valerie Sutton:

>Lately we have received such outstanding teacher's reports on their
>successes in the classroom with SignWriting...
>
>It starts to make the Gallaudet sceptics look a little foolish, don't
>you think?....

It does, but it follows quite naturally from the (inexplicable) attitude
that "deaf languages were never meant to be written down". As if _spoken_
languages _were_ meant to be? Human beings were speaking languages for
millennia before they ever write them down..... ;-)

Let's imagine a household with Deaf people in it. They are literate in
SignWriting and in English. One wants to leave a note for the other on the
refrigerator. Will he choose to write ASL or English?

Let's imagine a household with hearing people in it. They are bilingual and
literate in Irish and in English. One wants to leave a note for the other
on the refrigerator. Will he choose to write Irish or English?

Same difference. The point is that each must have the choice. If some folks
at Gallaudet don't see this, well, either they will in time, or they'll
retire and be replaced by folks who do....

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** https://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169

  Message 2718  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index