forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2720  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Feb 6, 2000  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Gallaudet University & SignWriting

Cecelia Smith wrote:
>The document in question is part of a packet for a course at Gallaudet. It
>is not that they do not have up to date material. I personally made sure that
>the instructor in question, and everyone in the Linguistics department all
>had very current material. It is his choice and preference to not use it.
>They do not present SignWriting as a currently viable system, but as one of
>many failed systems.

-------------------------

SignWriting List
February 6, 2000

Cecelia - you did your best under the circumstances...thank you for that!

Some of the instructors in the Linguistic Department at Gallaudet
work with another transcription system, called the Liddell
Movement-Hold System....

So they have another system they invented for linguistic research,
and perhaps they don't want competition from SignWriting....

By the way, SignWriting is NOT competition for them, since the two
systems have different goals, but perhaps they do not know that....

SignWriting is for signers, and other systems are for linguistic
research - there is a major difference...

Joe Martin is sending me a re-write of his article comparing the
Stokoe system and SignWriting. When I receive it, I will post it.
When I read the first draft of Joe's article, I was stunned at how
different the two systems are...it is like comparing an airplane to a
train...they are both transportation, but the comparison stops
there...

Val ;-)

  Message 2720  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index