forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3273  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  1:59 am
Subject:  Re: Publishing DanceWriting documents in PDF ;-)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> But then there are other problems - PDF files are fine when they are
> fairly small - but the one book is 90 pages of graphics - some photos
> - but mostly DanceWriting that has to be scanned in as graphics...so
> that is a very large PDF file.

> Any suggestions from PDF experts? How do other people publish on the
> web with big documents in PDF? Do they split the document up? Maybe
> there is a way to link portions of the document together?

> Please answer to the List if you know - many thanks!

The main example I know of is Norman Badler, who self-published
his book _Simulating Humans_ on the Web after it went out of print. He
broke up the book into four pdf files of roughly 500K. He also omitted
the illustrations, but that won't work too well for your project!

Even though pdf files tend to be small, I found that I was able to
use a Zip program to compress Badler's book1.pdf file from 608K to 413K.
So that's another option. Also when you scan the images in, it's
important to use black and white instead of color when you can, and to use
an image format that incorporates compression, like JPEG.

Others may have more suggestions.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 3273  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index